website









Great pics of cornholes and other useful wood products for your home and garden.

Friday, June 3, 2011

More than just cornholes, ya know!!




This is probably the sixth three tier display that I have made. To me, I find them easy on the eye, yet completely functional from a display standpoint. This item came from a book I had previously mentioned. The "Big Book of Weekend Woodworking".


With each project, the author gives a little story of the item regarding where he first saw it, or why he thinks it would be a good project, or both.


This item, he says, was spotted in a New England antique shop and was used for exactly what it was named. A three tier display. The shop displayed antiques on the three shelves and never gave thought to actually selling the shelf itself. That was until the author made a big deal of the display, and even then, the shop keeper said that it was not for sale. At least, not at that time.


So it was included in the project book, and Debbee thought it would make a good one. And we did.


The original and first (probably one and the same, isn't it?) one was made exactly to the book, including the colors, which were green painted legs with natural shellac shelf pieces.


After that, one was made shorter. And after the first one, all were stained and not painted. The next one I make will be a solid color paint. No reason. Just a change of pace. Sometimes staining gets boring. Besides, not everyone is infatuated with the grain of wood like I am. I think all the lines that come through a clear stain is just wonderful. Like veins running through the wood, and comes to life with a good stain.


I remember where they were sold as well.


The original one (the first one) was sold at the Eastlake Flea Market two years ago. The lady wanted to use it outdoors. I told all about the three coats of polyurethane on the shelves and how she could use more if she wanted. Another at the Painesville Flea Market two years ago. Young couple had there eye on it since I opened in the morning and they came back mid afternoon. There were two on display, a dark walnut and even darker walnut. And she really liked the one with a lot of vein markings in the wood. It was a dark walnut and the marks just came right out at you. I remember making a deal with her. She was really nice and they seemed like the type just starting out and she wanted to display some things she had been collecting.


That's me alright! A rough, tough mean old man! No deals from me, honey!


Ok, just this once. But don't tell anyone. Ya know, my reputation and all.


She picked a good one and it did look nice.


My daughter has one. Probably the other one from Painesville.


One was sold at Richmond Heights Craft Show. Yes, two years ago. It was the short one. Normally, they are around three feet tall. This one was more like two feel tall. Exactly the same width for all the shelves. It was really cute. Plus it was clear coated with shellac. Really shined.


I want to say that she bought a regular sized one as well, but I'm just not sure.


So how many is that? Eastlake one, Painesville two, my daughter three, Richmond Heights four, and two in my back room. That's six, or seven depending on Richmond Heights.


Whatever! I like making them and they are snazzy. Couple more three tier then a couple of leaning shelves, then a couple of "free standing cornhole tables" (FSCT).


Maybe I should do the FSCT first since summer if almost here and it is backyard season.


Here's the prototype of my first FSCT. By the way, it sold at Eastlake Flea Market. Guess when?







The leg, which is pointed like a pencil on the end, was painted to match the table. The two open holes on the end can hold wine glasses. Because they hang down, the table allows for that at each end. The holes on the table can hold a regular sized can of soda or a gatorade, since gatorade bottles are larger than pop cans. And with all that, there is still room in the middle for a regular sized paper plate, or real plate, or ashtray or whatever you want to put there.


And the best part is, it is two pieces. The leg screws into the table. Pretty cool, no?


But that is for the next story and so is some craft show and flea market fun.


See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment